(Makes 4 servings)
I love tacos. I simply tolerate most salads and eat them mostly because I know I should. Let’s face it, very few of us stare at our salads with the same breathless anticipation as we would for, say, a perfectly charbroiled steak. This salad, however, is a game changer. The best part of this recipe is that you can make a very large amount of it and freeze it in measured portions. It reheats in a snap and tastes just as good as if it was freshly made.
Fastest. Meal. Ever.
I make my own taco spice in bulk so it’s always on hand. It’s a salt-free, sugar-free, and chemical-free version. My dressing is simple, as most of the best things in life are. It’s low-fat ranch dressing mixed with salsa. You can use your favourite healthy brands and mix the ratio to whatever suits your personal taste. I top the salad with the sweet potato chips from Way Better Chips company. If you haven’t discovered those yet do yourself the favour! There’s a variety of flavors and they are all delicious and a very healthy answer to that infernal potato chip craving. This taco salad is a breeze to put together and the flavour options are endless. I love variety in most things except my men. I love the one I have and I’m keeping him.
1 lb Extra-lean ground beef/turkey or chicken
1/3 cup water (more if needed)
Terri’s Taco seasoning
6 tbsp. low fat ranch dressing
8 tbsp. salsa
8 cups Romaine lettuce, torn
1/8 cup pickled or fresh Jalapenos (optional)
1 oz cup sliced Red onion (optional)
1/2 cup crunched sweet potato chips (Way Better Chips)
TERRI’S TACO SEASONING
1 tbsp. chili powder
1/4 tsp. granulated garlic or garlic powder
1/4 tsp. granulated onion or onion powder
1/4 tsp. crushed red pepper flakes or cayenne pepper
1/2 tsp. dried oregano
1/2 tsp. paprika
1/2 Tbsp. ground cumin
1 tsp. black pepper
- Pan-fry the ground meat on medium heat until cooked through. Rinse off excess fat in a colander under hot water.
- Return meat to the pan and turn down to simmer. Mix taco mix with water and add to pan. Simmer 6-8 minutes until flavours have blended well and water is absorbed. Remove from heat.
- Mix together ranch dressing and salsa.
- Arrange romaine lettuce on plate and layer with ¼ meat dish. Drizzle with ¼ of dressing mixture. Top with jalapenos, onion and chips.
- Feel free to add rinsed black beans, corn and avocado
Calories – 324
Protein – 26.1g
Carbs – 24.1g
Fats – 14g
For more free recipes, tips and tricks visit my website at www.terri.windover.com